Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What kind of leather do you prefer to work with? and why?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What kind of leather do you prefer to work with? and why?

I, myself, prefer to limit the article to work with, since each has its own characteristics and different way to handle. My choice goes to Shrunken German Calfskin from Perlinger - chrome tanned. All because the love of its deep texture and the vertical veins. Weihenmer has softer handfeel for me, while Perlinger is stiffer and gives more shape to the bag. Hope can hear from other crafter around the world, and get more knowledge about other leather article 💫

I have never really worked with either of these leathers, only have some samples, but they are super nice. Its interesting to compare them to other tannerys who have the "same" leather because they all have seemingly very slight differences but when you are working with them you really see how different they can be even if visually they look almost the same to the end customer. I personally work with a lot with Lagun from Carriat, as well as several different leathers from Tannery Roux who I think does the most amazing leathers. They have a real know-how in producing ultra sophisticated leathers. And of course Degerman and Haas have great skins.

Comment

• jetalla’aneiu
      jetalla’aneiu commented
      Editing a comment
      You have an exquisite taste on leather. Hope one day can work with other great skins you have mentioned above. Do you ask specific thickness when ordering the skins?

• PeterNitz
      PeterNitz commented
      Editing a comment
      Some tanneries will split it for you but they normally have standard thicknesses.

I like different kinds of leathers, i have cheaper ones for trials as well as more expensive ones,
    I worked with Galuchat print leather from Carriat, a few times, i like the look but the only realy good part in it is the middle and all the rest wrinkels easily , it seems everyone has this problem , which is a pity. Some skins are better then others.
    With the Lagun, i only made one bag, but probably order in the future.
    I also worked with shrunken calf from Perlinger, very nice , good quality, only remark, when spliiting thin, the leather gets stretchy and needs backing, (which i sometimes do with bookbinders gauze ) not realy a problem.
    Barenia from Haas is nice and so far i only used for handles, straps combined with other leathers.
    A lot of tannery's are difficult to order from in smaller quantities, and choice is limited.

Comment

• jetalla’aneiu
      jetalla’aneiu commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for sharing, Martine. I need to google about Lagun then, you and peter mentioned about it. Can you post your creation with Lagun, please? Yes, I agree with you, some has big MOQ indeed. All the skins you mentioned (Carriat and Haas) can be ordered in small quantity?

• PeterNitz
      PeterNitz commented
      Editing a comment
      Lagun from Carriat is what Hermes uses and calls Taurillon Clemence. its a lot softer and slouchier than the Perlinger. You can order small quantities of their stock at Carriat. Haas you can forget about getting any small qualities.

Originally posted by Martine View Post
    I like different kinds of leathers, i have cheaper ones for trials as well as more expensive ones,
    i like the look but the only realy good part in it is the middle and all the rest wrinkels easily , it seems everyone has this problem , which is a pity.
    Yes, this seems to be a problem with all soft leathers that don't have a "natural" grain embossing. Where the skin is looser the embossing doest look great. Its that way with the Birch calf with diamond embossing. I can only use it from the very best central part of the skin...which just means it gets really expensive.

Comment

I like using alligator, Alran, Minerva box, and Buttero. I've also used some lizard and elephant.

I've used some Weinheimer waprolux which I like ok but the black tends to bleed on my thread when stitching. I've also used Carriat Maia (I think) and I have small pieces of Socoa and Haas Novonappa that I haven't used yet.

I didn't really like the Pueblo from Badalassi Carlo. I like the way it looks but not the way it feels.

Comment

• PeterNitz
        PeterNitz commented
        Editing a comment
        I also love the way Pueblo looks but I have only small small things from it, haven't tested it on a bag yet. Im curious how it looks after a lot of use.

Shell Cordovan from Horween, Hermann Oak Vegtanned and lately alligator. I also have a large collection of Alran Chèvre including a few Saffiano sides from Alran. I am known for my vegtanned wallets with varied overlays so I like to play with different textures and colors. I stick to firm/med tempered.

Comment

Is there someone who can recommend a good supplier for Box Calf , small quantities , anyone experience with tannerie Dupuy perhaps ? Maybe others ? Thanks in advance

Comment

Hi Martine. I know Dupuy has great skins but I have never purchased from them so no idea how they are to work with or if they sell small quantities.

Comment

Originally posted by Martine View Post
            Is there someone who can recommend a good supplier for Box Calf , small quantities , anyone experience with tannerie Dupuy perhaps ? Maybe others ? Thanks in advance
            Where are you located? MarcusGear sell Perlinger. He have a couple of colors of Noblessa and Fjord in stock. You can ask him if he have any Krispel Box in stock. https://www.marcusgear.co.uk/perlinger-2/
            Aacrack have two colors of Weinheimer box calf. http://www.aacrack.co.uk/tannnage-ra.../box-calf.html
            Last edited by Danne; 02-28-2019, 07:28 PM.

Comment

• Martine
              Martine commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes i do order from AACRACK and Marcusgear, colors for both are limited in what i want, aacrack has box calf but only black, brown ...
              Marcusgear sent me once a old vintage piece of calf hide which i am stuck with now. There Perlinger shruncken calf was fine.
              I should have asked for samples first instead of seeing them on pc screen and ordering from there.
              Thank you for reply Danne.

we should put together some kind of list with images of suppliers for different leathers. Not just the tanneries but also resellers who sell small quantities.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterNitz View Post
              we should put together some kind of list with images of suppliers for different leathers. Not just the tanneries but also resellers who sell small quantities.
              Great idea Peter, this would help a lot!

Comment

Working...
              X