Leather thickness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather thickness

Wanted to get some advice from the community around getting thinner leathers. I see a lot of products around, such as lined wallets which I assume must use very thin leather for the lining (lots of beautiful chevre lined items around!). For my local supplier I can get items close to 1mm but pretty much am stuck with whatever is in stock. I notice Rocky Mountain in the USA offers a splitting service which unfortunately I can't find a similar service here in Australia. What are most people doing in regards to getting thinner leather for projects? Many thanks in advance! Greg

Hi Greg. What I usually do is when I get a new shipment of alarm goat I take a few skins and have them split to 0.3/0.4 to use as linings for wallets and the inside of pockets. You can also do it yourself with smaller pieces on the skiver if you are really careful.

Comment

good day. I just started to learn the basics of working with the skin. tell me which hand tool is better and easier to reduce the skin thickness 1.0 -1.2. mm to 0.5-0.6. probably not using the correct skiver, but constantly damaging, cutting skin

Comment

Hi Alex.

Do you mean the split the entire piece of leather evenly or just to skive the edges?

Comment

• Alex_scrol
          Alex_scrol commented
          Editing a comment
          Good day. To make a thinner edge on chrome tanned leather

• PeterNitz
          PeterNitz commented
          Editing a comment
          For a machine the Fortuna skiver is perfect. For a hand skiver the V. Blanchard is what I use.

Hello Peter,

I'm struggling with the same problem as Greg and Alex for a while already. I come from Berlin, and work on small leather goods - so a good thin Sully is really cruicial. I've originally ordered some skins to be splitted by RM Leather Supply. Those came nice, but on the long run it's just not economical and sustainable because of the shipping costs and zoll. I've also tried Cuir in Paris, but wasn't really happy with the quality honestly.

You've mentioned above that you are letting your skins to be split - can you please share where are you doing this or recommend any other splitting service? That would really help enourmously!

Thanks so much in advance!

Best regards from Berlin,
        Paul

Comment

Originally posted by paulbe View Post
          Hello Peter,

I'm struggling with the same problem as Greg and Alex for a while already. I come from Berlin, and work on small leather goods - so a good thin Sully is really cruicial. I've originally ordered some skins to be splitted by RM Leather Supply. Those came nice, but on the long run it's just not economical and sustainable because of the shipping costs and zoll. I've also tried Cuir in Paris, but wasn't really happy with the quality honestly.

You've mentioned above that you are letting your skins to be split - can you please share where are you doing this or recommend any other splitting service? That would really help enourmously!

Thanks so much in advance!

Best regards from Berlin,
          Paul
          I can really recommend Leatherthinning.co.uk, they do a really good job. http://www.leatherthinning.co.uk/index.htm

But since you live in Germany I'm sure there are companies there who can help you. Search on Google for companies who split leather for automotive industries and similar. And ask them if they can split leather for you.
          Last edited by Danne; 04-02-2019, 06:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Danne View Post

I can really recommend Leatherthinning.co.uk, they do a really good job. http://www.leatherthinning.co.uk/index.htm

But since you live in Germany I'm sure there are companies there who can help you. Search on Google for companies who split leather for automotive industries and similar. And ask them if they can split leather for you.
            Dear Danne, thanks so much for the great advice! I was indeed able to find a few workshops in Germany and already sent them the samples for tests. Thank you!

Comment

Which is the best product among those listed in this site? https://11must.com/best-fishing-shoes/

Comment

Dear Paulbe,
                I am also having difficulty finding a leather splitting service in Germany, would you share your contacts and experiences so far. Thank you.

Comment

In Europe, you may also want to check suppliers of organ (the musical instrument) leathers. Before RM Leather began offering their splitting service in the US, I used Columbia Organ Leathers- apparently organs require thin splits of soft tannage- and they were able to split pieces up to 30 inches wide, as I recall.

Comment

Working...
                  X