Leather thickness

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather thickness

Wanted to get some advice from the community around getting thinner leathers. I see a lot of products around, such as lined wallets which I assume must use very thin leather for the lining (lots of beautiful chevre lined items around!). For my local supplier I can get items close to 1mm but pretty much am stuck with whatever is in stock. I notice Rocky Mountain in the USA offers a splitting service which unfortunately I can't find a similar service here in Australia. What are most people doing in regards to getting thinner leather for projects? Many thanks in advance! Greg

Hi Greg. What I usually do is when I get a new shipment of alarm goat I take a few skins and have them split to 0.3/0.4 to use as linings for wallets and the inside of pockets. You can also do it yourself with smaller pieces on the skiver if you are really careful.

Comment

good day. I just started to learn the basics of working with the skin. tell me which hand tool is better and easier to reduce the skin thickness 1.0 -1.2. mm to 0.5-0.6. probably not using the correct skiver, but constantly damaging, cutting skin

Comment

Hi Alex.

Do you mean the split the entire piece of leather evenly or just to skive the edges?

Comment

• Alex_scrol
          Alex_scrol commented
          Editing a comment
          Good day. To make a thinner edge on chrome tanned leather

• PeterNitz
          PeterNitz commented
          Editing a comment
          For a machine the Fortuna skiver is perfect. For a hand skiver the V. Blanchard is what I use.
      Working...
      X