Leather thickness and backing/stiffener

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leather thickness and backing/stiffener

I would like some advice on leather. As I wanted all my materials to be top quality I have used mainly Italian Chrome tanned full grain leather for my bags. As I don't have a splitting machine I have ordered 1.0 to 1.2mm thickness and then have a variety of weights of woven fusible backings as well as a sort of composite from leather "shavings" type product in a couple of thicknesses. I don't know what these are called as I have had to buy small quantities retail when travelling to London. (They are not available in South Africa) My concern is sometimes after working on a bag or particularly turning it the right way around I get creasing on the leather that will not come out despite trying to iron it again and think it may be the backing coming away from the leather. After 8 years I am wondering if I am using the wrong type of leather and should rather be using a lower quality and firmer leather which does not require a backing. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Dear Sue, try to find out what is it exactely that you use for backing, then we can have a look what is maybe better to use ! Also do you also glue some type of backings and with which glue ?

Comment

Thank you Martine for your response. I have tried to find out exactly what these backings are without success. One I can get locally which is the softest I have is called Canapina Garzata 030. I was told it is supplied here as it is used to line ballet shoes. I phoned the supplier in London but they will not tell me the name of the other products, just that they come from Italy. I am attaching photographs in case this may help.
      The first is of the composite stiffener which I glue on with Bally Shoe Glue (contact adhesive) I also cannot get water based contact adhesive here and have searched for a supplier. The other photos are of the
      three weights of iron on backing that I have from heaviest to thinner and "crisper" and lastly the Canapina mentioned above. I use and Elna Press to fuse these backings to the leather

Comment

• Martine
        Martine commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Sue,
        I can only suggest to try the Micron from Mando (Paris) , they have different ticknesses and besides some small shrinckage after gleuing , its does stay flexible and you can easily use it for turned bags, without creases when using chrome tanned leather. It comes in different tickness, i use the 0.4, 0.7 and 0.9 depending on the item.
        I have tried fusable backings but they did not give me the result i wanted. so ihave not much experience with these, but it seems that an Italian company Luigi Carnevali has several options. Have a look at their website. RM sells in small quantities.

Thanks for this info. I have found the Micron product by Giardini? I will try to order small quantities. Do you have any tips for glueing this material to the back of the leather. Do you use a similar contact adhesive and is brushing it on the only option?

Comment

• Martine
        Martine commented
        Editing a comment
        You can glue with Saregum, a water based contact glue or on one side white glue
        , i am not sure but it could be it exist also with a thermoadhesive layer. which i would like to order once my supply schrinks. Could be that is easy .Looking forward to try it.

Martine I would be extremely grateful if you could send me a link to this micron backing in monda? I am clueless about and and want to know more about this backing too!
      I don’t live in Europe by the way. Just wanted to learn more about this particular backing you mentioned and how to use it...

Comment

Here is a link to Microfibra reinforcement by Luigi Carnevali sold by Rocky Mountain Leather Supply in the US. They ship worldwide.
        *More arriving end of January Luigi Carnevali of Italy has been a pioneer in developing some of the most innovative reinforcements for the leather goods, footwear and leatherwear industries since 1908. They are well known and trusted by most of the luxury brands and can be found in many famous products.  The microfibra

Comment

Working...
        X