Thread options

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread options

Is there a thread to end all? I have been using Ritza, as it was supposed to be the best, but I find myself rethreading my needles as it constantly frays. I have tried Crawford Threads waxed linen from Belfast and was really happy with it, and their colours, but have been unable to find a good supplier of them. Any suggestions, or information, would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Hans Einer; 04-15-2019, 09:34 PM.

It depends on the look you like. I think most people on this forum use lin thread (Fil Au Chinois or Meisi/YueFung)

I used Ritza in the beginning, how do you thread the needle?

Comment

Thank you for the information Danne. I've been wanting to try Fil Au Chinois for some time now, but was looking for something 'heavier' to replace the Ritza. Difficult to see in your photos (my fault, not yours) but I tend to pierce the thread and then draw it back through itself once.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Einer View Post
        Thank you for the information Danne. I've been wanting to try Fil Au Chinois for some time now, but was looking for something 'heavier' to replace the Ritza. Difficult to see in your photos (my fault, not yours) but I tend to pierce the thread and then draw it back through itself once.
        Ps. Use quote, I almost missed your answer, because I didn't get a notification.

Thickest Fil Au Chinois is 0.7mm (Size 332) Personally the thickest thread I use for wallets and watch strap is 0.51mm (Size 632) But as earlier, personal preference.

You can buy 10-meter "cards" directly from Sajou (producer) if you want to try different sizes.

Comment

I’ve mostly only used Vinymo MBT from Japan for polyester. It comes in lots of colors and 3 or 4 sizes. I recently got a sample of Tiger, but haven’t tried it yet. I’m new to Lin Cable and have used 632 on a couple of projects.

Comment

I just saw that you’re in Canada. Check out OA Leather Supply. Ian sells small cards of Lin Cable, but he only has 632 so far. He has other brands too. That’s where I got my samples of it.
            https://www.oaleathersupply.com/
            Last edited by andimh; 04-16-2019, 02:04 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the information andimh. I think we are on the same page as I have been buying from Ian for a few months now and have been really happy with his product and service, and was thinking about buying the Lin Cable from him.

Comment

• Phillip Ryan
                Phillip Ryan commented
                Editing a comment
                RMLeathersupply has a great selection of threads. They are based in the US but offer pretty good rates on international shipping. They carry 4 sizes of Ritza, 5 sizes of Lin Cable, and two sizes of the Twist brand threads in both Polyester and Linen. I've been working with the Twist Polyester thread lately and have been happy with the results. It's only available in .45mm and .55mm sizes. Might be a little too thin for what you are looking for.
            Working...
            X