Clear Stitching

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clear Stitching

Is there something you would recommend to someone new to saddle stitching? Have you discovered some tips you would share with someone more experienced during your work? I'm self-taught and always looking for some recommendations to improve my stitching, expecially with very thin layers of leather. I've found out that tightening the thread too much produces a really bad-looking / linear-looking stitching but I haven't figured out how much I have to tighten it to make it look even and consistent yet. Do you use an awl to pierce through leather? Do you think it is "Indispensable"?

​​​​​​This forum is amazing

Hi Isacco. I would recommend my tutorial for Learning the Basics, you can find it on my website. In this video I show you exactly how to get perfect stitching. I can tell you that stitching very thin leather is tricky. You wont be able to get the angle on both the front an the back if the leather is too thin so you would just have to stitch without "casting" and have it angles just on the front.

Comment

PeterNitz Question about the tutorial. Do you explain in details the stiching parameters? Also how to get the same even stitch while backstitching? Difference between stitching toward and away from self? Direction of stich /// vs \\\ ? Any additional info is apppriciated.

Comment

Originally posted by mason1800 View Post
        PeterNitz Question about the tutorial. Do you explain in details the stiching parameters? Also how to get the same even stitch while backstitching? Difference between stitching toward and away from self? Direction of stich /// vs \\\ ? Any additional info is apppriciated.
        I myself am new and learned a lot in past two months. Having clean stitches has few angles to it:

- Leather you are using (thickness and firmness)
        - Needle you are using
        - Pricking iron you are using
        - Thread you are using
        - Force by which you pull each hand, each needle, ...

It also depends on your physics, which stitching pony or clamp you are more comfortable with. These all play a role in a clean and perfect stitches.

All that being said, leather work is more complex to be entirely self-learned. Most of the videos on youtube are not accurate at best and may cause incorrect habits at worst. So I strongly recommend these three courses of actions if you are a perfectionist:

* For sure take the course PeterNitz has even if it doesn't include all you need, it prevents you from forming bad habits (this upfront investment will save you incredible amount of time and leather)
        * Invest on proper tools if this is an obsession or career path, If hobby try to stay at medium to high quality tooling
        * On instagram follow people who have accurate stitching, they occasionally post pictures that show their tools, techniques, posture, ...

Also PeterNitz is among the most accurate on stitching, examine and study every picture he has on the instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by mason1800 View Post
          Forgot to mention, for a period of time take emotion out of your work and think objectively and let people with skill tear your work apart and tell you what you do wrong. When you learned then you'd be unstoppable

Comment

Originally posted by alexdorand View Post

Forgot to mention, for a period of time take emotion out of your work and think objectively and let people with skill tear your work apart and tell you what you do wrong. When you learned then you'd be unstoppable
            Thanks for your advise alexdorand As you said, I'm very particular and probably the hardest crtitic to my work. and coming from a production background very detail and quality oriented. The investment that PeterNitz offers will be my next investment and by far one the most important.

Comment

Working...
            X