Need advice for piping/welt

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice for piping/welt

I am trying piping a round bag and am new to this.
    I wanted the advice of all those who are aware of this.

Do you’ll use any cord when doing a piping? If you do, do you’ll use a plastic cord, foam cord or a 3-4 mil rope, or don’t use anything at all and just fold the leather .
    PeterNitz You have an video on Instagram and I thought I would ask here so others on the forum can also make use of your response.
    Did you use any cord/foam cord/rope or just folded the leather in this clip:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BsQ_1jwo...d=9pxbbap2hbqq

I normally do small bags which won’t be larger than 20 cm.
    What is your advice on applying and stitching the piping neatly as you cannot really see the piping side until it is done and stitching thru layers is hard.

last not least after sewing so many layers how do you hide all the interior exposed stitching ?
    Do you layer and stitch it with yet another thinly skived leather strap or some fabric?
    Would really appreciate your advice 🙏🏼

You can either just fold over leather that is 1mm thick or use a thin leather cord(i used 3mm leather cord in the video link you posted) or you can also use thick thread, like size 332.

If you look at my video you can see how the piping is glued down then I crease along the rounded part to create a crisp line and then punch your holes along this line. Glue on the remaining panel and stitch using the awl to punch through the existing holes and through the last layer that didn't have holes punched yet. this way you get a perfect piping every time. Then I just sand the seam evenly with the belt sander and give it a nice coat of edge paint.

Comment

Sorry for translate.google
      Peter, and what is the thickness of the skin in your piping
      3mm leather cord and 1mm leather?
      or are you splitting skin less than 1 mm

Comment

No, I never split it less than 1mm because the piping is what gets all the wear at the corners. That why you see so many bags with the inside cord stitching out!

Comment

Working...
        X