Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alligator wallet (Construction/tensile strength)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alligator wallet (Construction/tensile strength)

I plan to make a wallet with alligator exterior. I like my wallets with slim edges, so when I make a wallet with for example veg-tan exterior I use 1mm leather lined with 0.5mm chevre and skive the part of the lining under the pockets. (after gluing) no problem with durability. I have never seen anyone do this on alligator until recently. It looks like the owner of this forum (Peter) did that on his latest wallet. (But maybe it was just sanded) And also Glancelot showed a picture where he skived lining, but I'm not sure if it was alligator exterior, and not sure if maybe it was reinforced. I ask you people here if It would be durable enough. (I understand if Peter can't answer all questions here but I guess there are more people who work with gator?
    Last edited by Danne; 04-18-2019, 05:08 PM.

Originally posted by Danne View Post
    I plan to make a wallet with alligator exterior. I like my wallets with slim edges, so when I make a wallet with for example veg-tan exterior I use 1mm leather lined with 0.5mm chevre and skive the part of the lining under the pockets. (after gluing) no problem with durability. I have never seen anyone do this on alligator until recently. It looks like the owner of this forum (Peter) did that on his latest wallet. (But maybe it was just sanded) And also Glancelot showed a picture where he skived lining, but I'm not sure if it was alligator exterior, and not sure if maybe it was reinforced. I ask you people here if It would be durable enough. (I understand if Peter can't answer all questions here but I guess there are more people who work with gator?
    You could try messaging fannintexas, they mentioned in the Leather forum (what leather do you use?...) that they used alligator.

Comment

Originally posted by Hans Einer View Post

You could try messaging fannintexas, they mentioned in the Leather forum (what leather do you use?...) that they used alligator.
      Thank you for your answer. Most people don't seem to skive their lining. Sometimes I send messages to people but tend not to if I just need something. It's one thing to discuss something where I also can share.

Comment

I skive my lining, pockets and panels so the glue will adhere. On the alligator wallets I've done I skived the lining about 3mm (1/8 inch) from the edge and apply glue here. I skive very shallow basically shaving off just the finish and color. Sanding works too and I do this occasionally. I have not used any reinforcements on billfolds yet.

Here's a shot of my alligator clutch skived where I glued the gusset. I used Texon stiffener in this clutch.

Comment

Originally posted by fannintexas View Post
          I skive my lining, pockets and panels so the glue will adhere. On the alligator wallets I've done I skived the lining about 3mm (1/8 inch) from the edge and apply glue here. I skive very shallow basically shaving off just the finish and color. Sanding works too and I do this occasionally. I have not used any reinforcements on billfolds yet.

Here's a shot of my alligator clutch skived where I glued the gusset. I used Texon stiffener in this clutch.
          Thank you for your answer. Really appreciated.

Comment

On a wallet I made yesterday, I sanded down the lining for the cement to adhere. But I have hand skived both liner and alligator before.

Comment

Has anyone been able to find out which is the best product among those listed here? https://www.frankscleanupservice.net/

Comment

Working...
              X