Pricking iron

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pricking iron

Nowadays, there are so many option of pricking irons. Many leathercraftman make their own brand. I didn’t get a chance to try one by one, only tried two kinds of pricking iron - Blanchard and KS blade. So its a good opportunity to know what other used or been used and the review of it. So what kind of Pricking Iron are you using?
    Last edited by jetalla’aneiu; 12-23-2018, 11:26 PM.

I use Blanchard and Amy Roke for thin leather. For thick leather I use them only for markup, but make holes with an awl.
    Due to the fact that the pricking irons have a certain width, there is a problem to position them along the line.
    I want to make pricking irons with needles similar to the KS Blade only sharper in order to make holes with an awl.

Comment

I originally used Blanchard years ago but they are quite primitive to be honest. As soon as Amy Roke came onto the market I bought those and they are a huge improvement. Then KS Blade introduced their line of pricing irons which are just amazing. The only problem is that the teeth are so sharp, you often can't gently mark to see the placement because it cuts into the leather. So now I use Amy Roke for marking/testing and KS Blade for punching holes all the way through. The holes the KS Blade makes are so clean that often you don't see them after you have punched on leathers with grains or exotics. Then i'll switch to an amy roke.

Comment

• Phillip Ryan
        Phillip Ryan commented
        Editing a comment
        Hello Peter,

I'm currently in the market for a new set of irons but as I can not afford multiple sets of irons I find myself trying to decide which set to purchase. I have a supplier here in the US that I can purchase both the Amy Roke and KS Blade sets from. However, they are currently out of stock for the KS Blade. I like the look of the 3.0mm stitch length and do most of my stitching with a .45mm or .55mm thread. How do the hole sizes between the two brands compare? Also, can the Amy Roke irons be used to punch all the way through the leather or do you recommend marking and following up with an awl when using them? I am currently using the Tandy Craftool Pro Diamond chisels, but as the hole they make is very large and at a low angle, I use them like a traditional pricking iron and follow up with an awl. To save time I would like to purchase a set of irons that can be used to pierce through the leather completely. I know the KS Blade irons can achieve this, but to avoid waiting for a restock I'm leaning toward the Amy Roke irons if they can perform this task with a good finished result. Your feedback is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
        Phillip

Interesting,i am looking for pricking irons to combine with machine stitching, still in testing phase and waiting for Yusuf's reply , he will test Sinabroks,, then we decide to buy a few with some oher leatherworkers.
      Seems KSBlade can break easy ; need For sending them back....Sinabroks should have a repar kit.

Comment

• PeterNitz
        PeterNitz commented
        Editing a comment
        I have only had one KS blade tooth break, but they repair it for free.

I have gone from Dixon to Amy Roke to KS Blade, with some Japanese pricking irons in between. I personally prefer the Amy Roke and KS Blade, but they cost an arm and a leg to import to Belgium...

Comment

Yes, i know Sien, even though there exist an FTA agreement between Korea and Europe, which should avoid the import taks, duties, the company needs to be a registered seller and provide the right documents, what they not seem to do, and probably not willing to do. Most Korean company's do not even know about that agreement. If everybody would ask....

Comment

I’m currently using Crimson Hides and Amy Roke. The CH irons are pointed and sharp and will cut through several layers of Horween without trouble. The AR irons I use if I need to mark and awl.

My current set of CH irons have been in daily use and are still great. I use a cork block to punch into and haven’t experienced any breakage.

Just saving up for a set of KS Blade irons. I have their round punches, which are by far the best I’ve used. Sharp out of the box and nicely engineered.

Comment

Thank you for this post, I’m looking to buy new stitching irons. I have a set of KS Blade round dents and they work great. KS is on my short list but they’re expensive. I’ve heard good things and Crimson Hides and Kevin Lee.

Comment

• PeterNitz
              PeterNitz commented
              Editing a comment
              I alway think good tools are a wise investment. From my experience trying to save a little on tools or machines causes so much more work and wasted time in the future. Ive never regretted paying a premium for the right thing. So many people I know have tried to save on skiving machines because the good ones are quite expensive, but in the end they are so frustrated and spend time and money trying to adjust or modify the cheap ones they end up just buying the expensive one in the end.

My first real set of pricking irons were Dixon. I quickly moved to Blanchard 7s and 9s which I still use. My most recent are Kevin Lees in 2.7mm. These are great, sharp and polished and very reasonably priced.

Comment

• PeterNitz
              PeterNitz commented
              Editing a comment
              never tried the kevin lee irons. how is the thickness? i.e. can you punch through several layers without the holes stretching?

Yes Peter, you can. He makes a few different styles but the French pricking iron style he makes are much thinner than VB.

Comment

What about WUTA ?

Peter, If you have to pick one iron of the following:

KS blade, Amy Roke, WUTA or Crimson Hides... which one you’ll pick ? And why please ?

Comment

• Minga Made
                Minga Made commented
                Editing a comment
                Wuta are good, middle priced pricking irons.
                They need some sharping by yourself and this can be a bit frustrating. But the diamond irons I own work very well.
                KS is another level.

In my opinion, if you're a hobbyist who is making goods for himself, get the Wuta. If you want to go beyond, grab directly the KS.

• PeterNitz
                PeterNitz commented
                Editing a comment
                I have no experience with WUTA or Crimson Hides so i can't comment on those. My first choice is KS. Ive had really great experience with them and also Amy Roke. I actually use both on all my projects because each has advantage for different things.

I'm a big fan of the KSBlade irons. After doing side by side stitching tests, I found the thread sat best with these irons and the stitching as a result looked the cleanest.

That being said I'm looking to sell my KSBlades. I'm only selling them because I'm also a big fan of Jin who used to be a part of KSblade but spun off to start Sinabroks, so I'm just trying to support him in his new endeavor even though I believe they are pretty much the same irons. If anyone is interested, shoot me a pm.

2.7mm (10) - 2/12 prong
              3.0mm (9) - 2/12 prong
              3.38mm (8) - 2/10 prong

Comment

Originally posted by gear.garcon View Post
                I'm a big fan of the KSBlade irons. After doing side by side stitching tests, I found the thread sat best with these irons and the stitching as a result looked the cleanest.

That being said I'm looking to sell my KSBlades. I'm only selling them because I'm also a big fan of Jin who used to be a part of KSblade but spun off to start Sinabroks, so I'm just trying to support him in his new endeavor even though I believe they are pretty much the same irons. If anyone is interested, shoot me a pm.

2.7mm (10) - 2/12 prong
                3.0mm (9) - 2/12 prong
                3.38mm (8) - 2/10 prong
                Do you still have these items?

Comment

Working...
                X