French style clams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• French style clams

I've been stitching for years using a pony made by my father from the plans in Al Stohlman's The Art of Hand Sewing Leather. He also made me a French style clam which I've been using recently and I think I prefer this style now because I can see my pricking marks better without moving my head so much.

So now I'm looking for a new higher quality French style clam. Does anyone have recommendations? Please post some photos if you can.

Hi Fannin, I just have tried a French clam from Vergez Blanchard. No picture yet, sorry.

Comment

I also use the standard french clam from Blanchard but also use a vintage Swiss army clam which I really love. Let me take a pic of it tomorrow.

Comment

Fannin, Here is a pic of my vintage Swiss Army clam. The shape of it is really comfortable to use. I should cover the tips in leather but never get around to it :-) Im not are what the little metal hardware piece on the inside was for.

Comment

Thanks Peter. That's a really cool clam. Did the same company that makes the knives make it? Any more info? The backstory would be interesting to know.

Comment

• PeterNitz
            PeterNitz commented
            Editing a comment
            I have no info on who or what company actually made them. But its really cool to see old swiss army leather goods and they are all saddlesttiched!

I tried to order a clam from Fred Moreau, but he unfortunately retired just before I reached out to him. I've been working on finding someone who could replicate his design.

It's a beautiful design with a large jar to accommodate any size project

I might have found someone who can make something similar, but still working on it

Here's an example of Mr. Moreau's design

Comment

Originally posted by gear.garcon View Post
          I tried to order a clam from Fred Moreau, but he unfortunately retired just before I reached out to him. I've been working on finding someone who could replicate his design.

It's a beautiful design with a large jar to accommodate any size project

I might have found someone who can make something similar, but still working on it

Here's an example of Mr. Moreau's design
          If there is enough demand I can start looking at making this.

Comment

Working...
          X