Eprose Awls

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eprose Awls

Has anyone ever used Eprose "losangique" awls? I saw one been used in a video by Equus Leather and it looked really thin and precise. I was wondering about getting one.

I haven't, but i would like an awl that is really thin. Seems like most all of them are a little too wide if you want to pierce through something thick it stretches the hole.

Comment

• form_leather
      form_leather commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes, I totally agree and thank you for saying this because I keep feeling like there must be something wrong with my technique! Also - the less you stretch out the hole on the top, the less chance there is for the thread to go somewhere inconsistently.

That's the point Peter! It's kind of a pain to make wallets and watchstraps with big awls like Blanchard's ones. Do you know some other manufacturers that may fit my/our needs? Bye

Comment

• PeterNitz
      PeterNitz commented
      Editing a comment
      no, I never found one. I'm sure someone must be making one now. Maybe someone else knows?

Hi guys! So I just bought this guy and will let you know how it goes: https://www.etsy.com/transaction/156...aid=2a5cda5770

Blade is flat and 1.8mm (versus my current Vergez Blanchard, which is 2.45mm). I saw it advertised as being made to be used with KS Blade punches. Plus it looks pretty and has great reviews.

I also never understood why the awl tapered so that the further you push it in, the bigger the hole on the top is. Will give you guys an update once it arrives!

Comment

I bought an diamond awl from goodsjapan.com some years ago. I think the awl blade is around 2mm after sharpening. smaller than the usual vb awl blade...

Comment

• PeterNitz
        PeterNitz commented
        Editing a comment
        hmm..that sounds nice. do you have a pic?

What about Palosanto awls, does anyone here use them? They seem really nice. I was thinking about ordering one these days but I'm still not sure what width would be the best. They are offering 1.8mm, 2.0mm and 2.2mm and have 3 wood handle options. Here's a pic from their etsy shop:
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by EeroA View Post
        I bought an diamond awl from goodsjapan.com some years ago. I think the awl blade is around 2mm after sharpening. smaller than the usual vb awl blade...
        I also use awls from Goodsjapan, since they have smaller widths. I don't care so much about the shape. I reshape them to what I like.

Comment

Originally posted by Matea View Post
          What about Palosanto awls, does anyone here use them? They seem really nice. I was thinking about ordering one these days but I'm still not sure what width would be the best. They are offering 1.8mm, 2.0mm and 2.2mm and have 3 wood handle options. Here's a pic from their etsy shop:
          It depends on the width on your pricking iron, and your taste.
          If you are using Ksblade the prong width are:
          Spacing 2.7 - 3.0 mm: 1.6 mm
          Spacing 3.38 - 5.4 mm: 1.8 mm

Now I don't have much experience with more then 3mm/9spi Ksblade, and the awl I use the most is 2mm width. This is what it looks like with 632/0.51mm thread. (The black watch strap with red stitching is Meisi M40/0.45mm)
          https://leathercraftcommunity.com/fo...lo-from-sweden

Comment

I switched to Palosanto after reading this thread and love the difference!

Comment

I hadn't heard of them but i must say they look beautiful! Im going to order the 1.8 awl in burl and give it a test run. I don't love the Blanchard awls because they alway stretch the hole

Comment

Originally posted by Danne View Post

It depends on the width on your pricking iron, and your taste.
                If you are using Ksblade the prong width are:
                Spacing 2.7 - 3.0 mm: 1.6 mm
                Spacing 3.38 - 5.4 mm: 1.8 mm

Now I don't have much experience with more then 3mm/9spi Ksblade, and the awl I use the most is 2mm width. This is what it looks like with 632/0.51mm thread. (The black watch strap with red stitching is Meisi M40/0.45mm)
                https://leathercraftcommunity.com/fo...lo-from-sweden
                Great, thank you for the help Danne! I was wondering which one of the two (1.8, 2.0) would best fit 3.85 and 4.0.
                1.8 it is!!

Peter, I haven't had a chance to use Blanchard ones but it seems there aren't many happy customers. Hope this one will make a difference, reviews are great!

Comment

Working...
                X