Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regad tools

Hello everyone,

I'm ordering my first Regad machine. I've been looking around for a while now and still can't get answers so I hope someone here can help me with the decision.

Handle
    There are cork and wood options. Is there any difference during usage besides the material and the size of a handle (22mm, 29mm)?

Tips
    As soon as I started exploring I got lost - so many sizes and shapes, so many possibilities... My main use with Regad would be finishing painted edges that are between 3-5mm. They are flat, not rounded - I'm not using a beveler on them. Is the leather edge polisher a good choice for this? I've seen a lot of crafters use FN (M) / S series not just for creasing but also for work on edges.

Any tips would be helpful! Thank you

No it's the same handle, ergonomic choice. I have no experience with other than the straight wood handle, and I like that.

I use S05H for heating edge paint and melting wax. Wax spatula is not a good choice for heating edge paint (at least not for Fenice, because I prefer a quite high temperature (Around 7) and I have heard the wax spatula tends to break at those temperatures.

You can use FN-series to heat edge paint and melting wax. I wouldn't recommend using F-series for that task, because the edges of that tool are "sharp"

I have F2, FN1, FN2, S05H so if you have a hard time deciding between F and FN irons I can probably answer some questions. And examples in different leather types.

Edit: Buy from Mando (A lot better prices than other places)
    Last edited by Danne; 04-09-2019, 05:11 PM.

Comment

I am using Giardini paint. After contacting them about heating their paint, they told me max temp allowed is 70 Celsius, as it is water based.

FN2 seems a pretty good choice from what you suggested. What about their leather edge polisher (pic attached)? It seems easy to use, but I can't find any reviews.

I am using chrome tanned leather. The piece that I'm working on has long edges (about 35cm longer side) so it's really hard sanding it down to look good and even.

Thank you again Danne, I'll have to mention you when I'm finished You helped a lot!

Click image for larger version

Name:	edge-polish.png
Views:	121
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	715

Comment

Originally posted by Matea View Post
        I am using Giardini paint. After contacting them about heating their paint, they told me max temp allowed is 70 Celsius, as it is water based.

FN2 seems a pretty good choice from what you suggested. What about their leather edge polisher (pic attached)? It seems easy to use, but I can't find any reviews.

I am using chrome tanned leather. The piece that I'm working on has long edges (about 35cm longer side) so it's really hard sanding it down to look good and even.

Thank you again Danne, I'll have to mention you when I'm finished You helped a lot!

Click image for larger version  Name:	edge-polish.png Views:	1 Size:	139.0 KB ID:	715
        Fenice is also water-based. I use relatively high temperature but I move the tool quick over the edge. As long as the paint isn't boiling it works good with Fenice. Don't get me wrong here, if Giardini recommends max 70C they of course now what they are talking about.

I think that tool is to even out wrinkles in leather, I have seen them used to remove "creasing" on alligator leather. I think it's like a heated bone folder (But I'm not really sure here)
        From my experience (with the paint I'm using) the edge need to sanded until almost flat. After first layer of paint I can even the edge a little bit with heat. All layers have to be sanded completely flat for a good result from my experience.

The photo is out of focus. But here you see how it looks like after first layer of paint. And the second picture is the finished edge.
        The technique I use is quite similar with chrome tanned leather. Apart from how I round off the edge (If I do) On veg tan I use an edge beveler, on chrome tanned I only sand the "edge radius"

Comment

And the difference between F and FN on veg tan leather. (On softer leather it, of course, look a little different, and you have to be careful with F2 on softer leather. (To much pressure or heat you cut/burn the leather instead of crease.
          Card holder is F2, Watch straps is FN2.

You can see the FN2 iron on chrome/combination tanned leather in my other post with the business card holder in black veg tan and pink chevre interior.
          And the black card holder with orange interior where I creased the outer edges on the interior with F2.
          Last edited by Danne; 04-09-2019, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Beautiful work Danne, that's exactly what I've been trying to achieve. Love the orange watch strap with grey edge!
            I am really a beginner in leathercraft, it's been going on for about 5 months now. But (un)fortunately I see too many details LOL

One more question, how far away from the edge is your stitch on the black watch strap where you used FN2? I am trying to visualize FN2 if it would also be used as a creaser.

Comment

Beautiful work Danne, that's exactly what I've been trying to achieve. Love the orange watch strap with grey edge!
              I am really a beginner in leathercraft, it's been going on for about 5 months now. But (un)fortunately I see too many details LOL

One more question, how far away from the edge is your stitch on the black watch strap where you used FN2? I am trying to visualize FN2 if it would also be used as a creaser.
              Which orange strap with grey edge.

I don't remember exactly on this strap (I used a new iron Kevinlee 2.45/11spi. But somewhere around 2.5-3mm to the center of stitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Danne View Post

Which orange strap with grey edge.

I don't remember exactly on this strap (I used a new iron Kevinlee 2.45/11spi. But somewhere around 2.5-3mm to the center of stitch.
                The one in the bottom of the photo with watch straps, it seems like orange. Maybe tan would be more accurate? Edges seem greyish..
                Anyways, thanks!

Comment

The one in the bottom of the photo with watch straps, it seems like orange. Maybe tan would be more accurate? Edges seem greyish..
                  Anyways, thanks!
                  Yes of course the lining Yes it's natural color of Zermatt calf. Edges are black, I'm just a bad photographer

Comment

Working...
                  X