Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plexiglass/Acrylic pattern vs cutting

Hi Everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to perfect my cutting to be more consistent. I was thinking of drawing the pattern using Autocad or Sketchup or good old Adobe Illustrator and send it to laser cutter to cut me the templates on plexiglass or acrylic.

Any recommendation? does it worth the headache? Has anyone worked with acrylic templates?

Absolutely!

I used to print out my patterns on cardboard to trace it on the leather, and it worked fine. The advantage of acrylic patterns is not only the durability, but you can see directly any spots or unperfections of the leather through.
    Also for cutting curves, an acrylic pattern helps me a lot, as i can use it as a guideline.

So, for recurring patterns go for the acrylic!

Comment

• alexdorand
      alexdorand commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the feedback. I am going to design some template based on existing bags and provide it to everyone for free.

Some advise for pattern making, give yourself some room for error. I have made many patterns to size and for one reason or another had to cut the edge to make them straight, and ended up short. I now cut the exterior and interior panels to size and pockets a bit wider/taller.

Comment

• alexdorand
      alexdorand commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you so very much for your comment and support. I am learning that the hard way too.

Styrene sheets make good patterns, and you don’t need a laser to cut them. Just score the styrene a couple times with a knife and it snaps along the line.

Comment

Working...
    X